Henry Stone was Lord of the Manor, with no heir, who bequeathed it in 1693 to Christ Hospital London. His Arms appear on the Stone Arms Public House which is thought to have originated as a Coffee House.
Stoney Yard is part of the early village where the blacksmith and undertaker resided. On the corner is the old Village Hall which was built in 1928 for the Women’s Institute and is now used by the village Scout Group.
Traditional Buildings include the 19th Century estate workers Stone Cottages whilst the Hall and Manor House represents more stately architectural styles. The Hall dates back to the 19th Century and the Georgian manor house was built in 1811. The School House was built in 1856, with the old School and old Vicarage built the year after.
St Lawrence Church was ravaged by fire in 1916 and was extensively rebuilt. The glazed fleche on the roof of the Church gives a clue to recent changes with the pillars of the nave having been removed to give an open-floor area to enable multi use.
The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster represents the many squadrons of the RAF located in the county during World War 2 and the history of the village is closely located with the building of RAF Skellingthorpe in the Second World War which was the home to 50/61 Squadrons. There is still evidence of the former airfield with dispersal bays still in existence near Birchwood. The Heritage Centre in the Community Car Park of the Parish Council depicts the Skellingthorpe Airfield history. An Annual Memorial Service is held in June to commemorate those who served in Skellingthorpe. The 50/61 Squadron Visitors book and Roll of Honour is kept in the Parish Office, along with many photo’s/paintings, and is available to view by appointment by ringing the Parish Clerks.
The old Railway Line closed completely in February 1980, and has now become part of the Sustrans National Cycle path network and is regularly used by commuters and leisure cyclists. The Community Centre, Village Office and Youth Centre are built on the original railway station, along with former Lamp Room which is now used as the Heritage Centre.